Year of the Pig!
In honor of the Chinese New Year, we have come up with a list of interesting facts about Chinese dentistry, and since it is the year of the Pig, a few about pigs too!
Ancient Chinese Dentistry
The Chinese were doing rudimentary oral surgery, such as tooth extraction, about 8,000 years ago! Other breakthroughs include:
- Using acupuncture to help alleviate tooth pain(~4000 years ago)
- Using arsenic to treat toothache(~1000 years ago)
- Using silver amalgam to treat dental decay(~1400 years ago)
Unfortunately for us, China had a very long period of civil war and conquest which disrupted medical and dental research and perhaps other breakthroughs. Who knows what else they could have come up with!
Here are a few interesting facts about our hog friends:
- Baby Pigs have 28 teeth, while adult pigs have 44 teeth
- All pigs have tusk teeth, which are sharper and used to defend the pig
- Pig teeth have enamel just like human teeth
- Pigs were domesticated as early as 9000 BC!
Remember, we are always taking new patients, so refer your friends and family to our website: http://dralanpan.com/appointment-request
“Ancient History Of Dentistry.” Ancient Pages, Ancient Pages, 22 June 2018, www.ancientpages.com/2018/06/22/ancient-history-of-dentistry/.
Animals, A-Z. “Pig.” A-Z Animals - Animal Facts, Pictures and Resources, 10 Sept. 2018, a-z-animals.com/animals/pig/.